When your computer downloads files, videos or data from the Internet, it is basically transferring files from a computer on the other side of the World and using the Internet to copy them onto your PC. This means that if your system has a slow download speed, there are a variety of factors that can be causing the issue… and a certain number of ways you can fix it. Here’s what you need to do…
1) Check Your Internet Connection Speed – If your connection is running slow, then that’s going to limit the download speed to your PC. This can be tested by clicking onto Google and then typing “broadband speed test”. Click on the first result and it will show you a speed test website which tests your connection speed. If your connection seems really slow on this test, then you need to contact your Internet service provider (ISP) and get them to sort out the problem.
2) Check The Other Server Is Fast – Because downloading files and data is like connecting two PCs, the other computer (known as the “server”) also needs to be able to transfer the files quickly. If the download is provided by a large company, such as Apple, Google, Microsoft or YouTube, then this should not be a problem. However, if the download is provided by a smaller company, you may wish to look for “mirrors” to gain a different download source windows 11 download.
3) Stop Any Other Programs Running On Your PC – If you’re one of the type of people who like to use a lot of programs at once on their computer, then for the time you want to download, you need to limit what you do and only use the software that’s doing the downloading. Many other programs, such as Instant Messengers, etc, constantly eat away at your Internet connection and consequently slow it down, causing your downloads to run at a crawl. You need to make sure that your system is able to focus on just downloading the file / movie / data that you want.
4) Monitor Network Usage – If you have a network with a router, then you may wish to stop other computers from connecting to the Internet whilst you’re trying to download. Just like if your PC has other applications open, other network computers can actually make your system run extremely slowly as they will prevent the full speed of the Internet on your system. You should see if any of your network PCs are using the Internet excessively OR you should try downloading when they are not being used.
5) Clean The Registry – This is one of the most powerful ways to speed up slow downloads. Essentially, the registry is a database which stores information and settings for your computer…. and is also where many settings for your Internet browsers are kept. When you download anything from the Internet, your computer has to read a certain number of settings in order to process the download – but if those settings are not able to be read, then Windows is going to take longer to process the files it needs, causing it to slow down.
This is actually a huge problem for many computers and is hardly ever fixed by your PC. In order to fix this problem, you can use a “registry cleaner”.